Are you out of ideas of what to get your friends, family, and acquaintances for the holidays?
When deciding what types of gifts to give people, a couple of things have to be considered:
1. Your budget. You can’t spend your whole month’s salary on gifts…well, I mean you could if you really wanted to and I’m sure your friends/family would really love you for it (they do anyways).
2. What they like…such as their hobbies, favorite books, etc. For example, if your friend likes fitness, you can’t get him/her a World Of Warcraft game membership and expect them to be satisfied with the gift, although they won’t show their disappointment.
In this post, I am going to talk about some gift ideas for those who are interested in photography, modeling, fashion, and fitness.
BOOKS:They are pretty inexpensive, and people love to read about stuff that interests them. A good book is something that your friend can keep, refer to, and pass on to others when they are done reading it. There is a huge selection of books on Amazon. Take a look at some of them and see if they interest you or someone you know.
Photography:1. The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby
Scott Kelby has a great reputation in the photographic world, and therefore his work is worth paying attention to.
2. Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera by Bryan Peterson
3. True Confessions of Nude Photography: A step-by-step guide to recruiting beautiful models, lighting, photographing nudes, post-processing images, and maybe even getting paid to do it. by A.K. Nicholas
If you know someone who is into art nude photography, this book is worth a read. It talks about techniques, how to get the good photos, and how to find models who are willing to shoot nude.
4. Life: A Journey Through Time by Frans Lanting…if you enjoy looking at beautiful photographs and want to be inspired. Frans Lanting is amazing, and seeing his work will inspire photographers to perfect their craft.
5. Lighting Techniques for Photographing Model Portfolios: Strategies for Digital Photographers by Billy Pegram
Includes photographs, tips, techniques, and much more from the amazing photographer Billy Pegram.
6. Christopher Grey’s Studio Lighting Techniques for Photography: Tricks of the Trade for Professional Digital Photographers by Christopher Grey
7. The Complete Photographer by Tom Ang
8. The Photographer’s Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman.
9. Complete Digital Photography, Fifth Edition by Ben Long
10. Outdoor Glamour Photography: The Complete Digital Guide to Taking Successful Outdoor Glamour Photographs by Bill Lemon
Modeling:1. Almost 5’4″ by Isobella Jade
This is a story about a short model who took charge of her own career and the persistence that it took overcome her setbacks, from going homeless, to landing gigs with Macy’s and Victoria’s Secret, this book will inspire young women who are passionate about modeling.
2. Model Life: The Journey of a Pint-Size Fashion Warrior by Isobella Jade
3. Break into Modeling for Under $20 by Judy Goss
4. How to Become a Successful Commercial Model: The Complete Commerical Modeling Cookbook by Aaron Marcus
5. The Professional’s Guide to Modeling by Roger Talley
6. Complete Guide for Models: Inside Advice from Industry Pros for Fashion Modeling by Jenni Bidner
7. Your Modeling Career: You Don’t Have to Be a Superstar to Succeed
8. The Business of Professional Modeling by Hannah Weston
9. 500 Poses for Photographing Women: A Visual Sourcebook for Portrait Photographers by Michelle Perkins
10. Model: A Memoir by Cheryl Diamond
Fitness:1. 101 Workouts for Women: Everything You Need to Get a Lean, Strong and Fit Physique by Muscle & Fitness Hers
2. The AbSmart Fitness Plan: The Proven Workout to Lose Inches and Strengthen Your Core Without Straining Your Back by D.C. Adam Weiss
3. Body for Life: 12 Weeks to Mental and Physical Strength by Bill Phillips
4. Eating For Life by Bill Phillips
5. Runner’s World Complete Book of Women’s Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance by Dagny Scott Barrios
6. The Butt Book: How to Build a Non-Cellulite and Fat-Free Butt in 9 Weeks by Tosca Reno
7. Transformation: The Mindset You Need. The Body You Want. The Life You Deserve by Bill Phillips
8.Keeping Fitness Simple: 500 Tips for Fitting Exercise into Your Life by Porter Shimer
9. Women’s Weight Training and Bodybuilding Tips and Routines (The Best of Joe Weider’s Muscle and Fitness) by Weider
10. The Jennifer Nicole Lee Fitness Model Diet: JNL’s Super Fitness Model Secrets To A Sexy, Strong, Sleek Physique by fitness celebrity Jennifer Nicole Lee
11. The Mind, Body & Soul Diet: Your Complete Transformational Guide to Health, Healing & Happiness by fitness celebrity Jennifer Nicole Lee
MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTIONS: Magazines, when they are not filled with useless ads, are great whether you are looking for photographic inspiration, fashion/fitness/beauty tips, and posing references.
4. Fitness Rx For Women
6. Marie Claire
11. Runner’s World (1-year auto-renewal)
12. Digital Photo Pro
13. Harper’s BAZAAR (1-year auto-renewal)
15. Fashion Magazine
17. W Magazine
18. Women’s Running
19. Redbook Magazine
20. Muscle & Fitness
Fashion/Clothing & Gift Certificates: People LOVE gift Cards!!
1. Ujena Gift Card
2. Malibu Strings Gift Card http://www.malibustrings.com/
3. Lingerie.com Gift Card
4. Victoria’s Secret Gift Card http://www.victoriassecret.com/
5. Lululemon Gift Card http://www.lululemon.com/
6. Garage Gift Card http://www.shopgarageonline.com/
7. JCPenney Gift Card http://www.jcpenney.com/
8. Lord & Taylor White Gift Card
9. Dangerous Curves Swimwear Gift Card
10. Guess Gift Card
11. La Senza Gift Card
12. Bootlegger Gift Card
13. Suzy Shier Gift Card
Other Gift Cards: Gift Cards are great! 🙂
1. Amazon.com $50 Gift Card
2.ITunes Gift Card
3. Sephora Gift Card
CAMERAS: If you can afford it, and have friends who are into photography, giving them a camera for Christmas will make a big difference to them. Based on reviews and looking at people’s wishlists, I came up with the following list, in no particular order:
1. Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Great for Beginners)
2. Nikon D200 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera
3. Nikon D300s 12MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera
4. Nikon D700 12.1MP FX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD
5. Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Good for Beginners)
6. Nikon D5000 12.3 MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD This camera is good for beginners, and relatively inexpensive.
7. Nikon D3S 12.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 24fps 720p HD Video Capability
8. Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Good for beginners.
9. Canon EOS 5D 12.8 MP Digital SLR Camera
10. Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD
11. Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Inexpensive and thus good for begginers.
12. Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens Great for beginners and teens 🙂
Of course, if you are getting someone a camera, check out some lenses too.
1. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens It is expensive but worth it.
2. Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens
3. Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras It is Nikon’s least expensive lens.
4. Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens
5. Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Lens
Canon Lenses:1. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
2. Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens
3. Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM Telephoto Lens
4. Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Lens
5. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens
6. Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
7. Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom Lens
Other Ideas:1.AVON Items
2. SkinCubed Items
3. Ansel Adams 2011 Wall Calendar
4. The Fashion Designer Survival Guide, Revised and Expanded Edition: Start and Run Your Own Fashion Business
5. Fashion 101: A Crash Course in Clothing
6. The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
7.Avedon Fashion 1944-2000 Richard Avedon-the person whose photography inpires me and will inspire you too!!
8. The Fashion Book
9. How to Set Up and Run a Fashion Label by Toby Meadows
Disclosure: Some of the links on this page will take you to Amazon. Any purchases you make through Amazon by clicking my links will help me with my university expenses, contributions to local charities, and more.